Thursday, April 30, 2009

A State of Perpetual Creativity

The newest portrait in the Smithsonian's National Portrait Gallery is of Duke Ellington, in honor of his 110th birthday. The portrait was painted by his longtime friend, Tony Bennett. Mr. Bennett told the gathered crowd that it was Mr. Ellington who encouraged him to take up painting (Fox):
"Be good at two things," Bennett said, quoting the advice he got from Duke Ellington.

The legendary crooner told the crowd he would sometimes get burned out on singing, "... and, after a while, when I painted a lot, I'd get burned out on painting. [So], I'd get back to the music.... it created a state of perpetual creativity. I have no need to ever go on a vacation or to retire. Because I'm in this creative zone that [Ellington] instructed me to do."

No comments:

Post a Comment